TrueView for Action – Driving Website Actions with YouTube
According to Cisco, video will account for 82% of all consumer internet traffic by 2022. When combining this prediction with research that found that more than 55% of users search for a product and then proceed to YouTube to learn more before buying it, we can conclude that YouTube is a channel worth considering adding to your marketing mix if not done already.
Historically you may have tested YouTube and found it to be great for brand awareness and engagement but perhaps less so at driving direct conversions. Google’s answer to improving direct response advertising performance is the TrueView for Action format.
What are TrueView for Action ads?
TrueView for Action combines prominent call-to-actions along with headline text overlays on video ads to help drive actions that are most important to your business e.g. leads or referrals. These campaigns run on the in-stream ad format meaning they play before, during or after another video on YouTube and the viewer has the option to skip the ad after 5 seconds if they prefer.
We have the ability to target users using the wide range of options usually available for video ads but the methods we have found to work particularly well are summarised below:
- Custom Intent – This targeting method is the most powerful and exciting! Reach audiences on YouTube who have recently searched for your keywords on Google. Google recommend uploading a minimum of 50 keywords and focussing on generic keywords in order to increase the reach
- In-Market – Target users who are actively looking to buy
- Life Events – Reach users entering a key milestone in life e.g. marriage, moving or graduating
- Remarketing – Retarget users that have engaged with your website before
How do I create a TrueView for Action campaign?
In order to create a TrueView for Action campaign you will need the following:
- Headline (up to 15 characters in length)
- CTA (up to 10 characters in length)
- Target CPA – Google Ads smart bidding strategy which will set and adjust bids to help get as many conversions at the target CPA set
- Video created hosted on YouTube
Google have a detailed step-by-step instructions here for creating a TrueView for actions campaign.
Tips for when using Target CPA (cost-per-action)
- Guideline from Google is to set budgets as 20x your CPA bid to allow enough data for machine learning
- Allow bidding strategy to learn and improve over a period of at least 10-14 days before making any adjustments
Creative tips for direct response video creative
- Keep video ad content short and sweet– aim to keep ad length between 15-30 seconds. Use of quick cuts and fast pacing is recommended by Google in order to hold attention.
- Hook the user in – aim to front load your offering / USP in the first 5 to 10 seconds.
- Clear call-to-action – ensure call-to-action matches the action mentioned in the voiceover or graphic content of the video so the viewer is clear on what to do next
- Consider mobile viewers when creating your ad – using bright footage and large text/graphics can help the ad stand out on mobile screens which tend to be smaller and dimmer
- Branding – aim to include your logo to ensure viewers can keep your brand front of mind long after they have finished viewing the ad
YouTube is fast becoming a valuable revenue stream and over time its impact on the bottom line is likely to only grow further. Having tested this format across a range of clients over Black Friday and on the approach to Christmas we feel confident that this campaign type is without fail something to trial in your account.
If you have any questions about this campaign type or need any help setting up a campaign, please feel free to get in touch.